Australian Cheese, Garlic and Chive Damper
photo by IngridH
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Sift flour and salt together in a large bowl. Using fingers rub in the chopped butter until it is the consistency of breadcrumbs. Add cheeses,garlic and chives. Mix well.
- Combine milk and water. Make a well in flour and pour in all of the liquid, reserving a little for glaze. Mix quickly into a soft dough, using a knife or the hands.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead lightly. Press into a round. Place onto a greased baking tray. Glaze with leftover milk and water mixture and sprinkle with extra cheese.
- Bake 15-20 minutes in 425°F oven, and serve sliced with butter or olive oil.
- Individual dampers can also be shaped and baked for the same time and temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe will be made and enjoyed time and again, as Rita's recipes always are! Who would guess that a concoction of ready ingredients with such simplicity to prepare could be so yummy?! This loaf, as another reviewer said, is reminiscent of those biscuits at Red Lobster Restaurant. I used about 1 1/2 cups cheddar and 1/3 cup total parmesan, counting the parmesn on top, and extra garlic. A definite keeper. Thanks Rita~
i HAVE to give this recipe a 5 star rating however I had messed up by not reading the SELF raising flour! ;( but it was still soooo yummy! (and a little doughy/crunchy). cant wait to make it again and use the proper ingredient! used about 5 cloves of garlic. YAYYY! thanks Rita!<br/><br/> made again 3-4-2012: well used the right flour this time and accidentally used 2 cups of shredded cheddar... YUMMY!!!!! such a quick, easy meal that i usually have everything on hand. thanks again!!