1/1 Photo of Pumpkin Buttermilk Doughnuts
These are a favourite 'cake' doughnut. Wonderful flavour from the pumpkin and spices and the tender crumb and tang provided by buttermilk. If your family is like mine, they'll be gone before you've finished making them! The dough has to 'rest' for atleast 3 hours or overnight - so I like to make them the night before for a special breakfast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1Resift flour with baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger into medium bowl.
- 2Cream butter in large bowl until fluffy.
- 3Gradually add ¾ cup sugar and beat until fluffy, about 6 minutes.
- 4Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 5Beat in ¼ cup dry ingredients.
- 6Add pumpkin and buttermilk and mix until thoroughly combined.
- 7Add remaining dry ingredients and stir until just blended (dough will be slightly sticky).
- 8Cover and refrigerate atleast 3 hours or overnight.
- 9Combine brown sugar and ½ cup sugar in paper bag; set aside.
- 10Roll dough out on lightly-floured surface to thickness of ¼ to 1/3 inch.
- 11Using lightly-floured 3 ½ inch round doughnut cutter, cut out doughnuts and holes.
- 12Transfer to floured board as they are cut.
- 13Gather up scraps and repeat.
- 14Let stand 10 minutes.
- 15Heat 4 inches oil in deep fryer to 360F.
- 16Add ¼ of doughnuts and holes and cook until golden-brown, turning once, about 5 minutes.
- 17Transfer to paper towels using slotted spoon and drain 3 minutes.
- 18Immediately transfer to paper bag with sugar and shake to coat.
- 19Arrange on racks.
- 20Repeat until all doughnuts have been fried and coated with sugar.
- 21Can be prepared 1 day ahead.
- 22Store airtight.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Buttermilk Doughnuts
Serving Size: 1 (1222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 201.5
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 30.6 mg
- Sodium 298.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 20.3 g
- Protein 3.5 g