Pusheen Cat Doughnuts
- Ready In:
- 1hr 37mins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 36 almonds
- 20 ounces white melting chocolate, divided
- black candy food coloring
- 2 ounces pink melting chocolate
- 18 Cheerios toasted oat cereal
- 3 doughnut pans, a large pastry bag, 2 small pastry bags and 2 small round decorating tips.
MAKE THE DOUGHNUTS:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray 3 doughnut pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the melted butter and sugar.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla extract. Working in batches, add in the flour. Scrape down the bowl, set the mixer to a low speed, and slowly stream in milk. Mix until just combined.
- Transfer batter into a large piping bag with the tip cut off. Pipe each doughnut mold 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden. Set aside to cool.
DECORATE THE DOUGHNUTS:
- Using a microwave on half power, melt 20 ounces of the white melting chocolate in a shallow bowl in 30 second intervals, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the black candy coloring, a little at a time, until you reach the desired light grey color.
- Use a pairing knife to make 2 slits on the top edge of each doughnut.
- Dip the rounded bottoms of 2 almonds into the chocolate and attach to the top of each doughnut, like ears, pushing the chocolate edge into the pre-made slits. Repeat with the remaining doughnuts. Let them set for 5 minutes.
- Once the ears have set, dip the entire front face of doughnuts into the melted chocolate. Let set.
- Pour half of the remaining melted chocolate into another bowl. Use the black candy coloring to dye 1 bowl a darker grey and the other black.
- Transfer dyed chocolate to 2 small pastry bags fitted with small round decorating tips.
- Use the black chocolate to draw the eyes, mouth and whiskers onto each doughnut. Use the dark grey chocolate to draw the hands, feet and small vertical stripes between the ears.
- Using a microwave, again at half power, melt the pink chocolate in a small bowl.
- Dip the front side of the Cheerios into the melted pink chocolate. Sprinkle with sprinkles.
- Use melted chocolate to attach the cheerios to the hand-area of each of the doughnuts. Let them set.
- Doughnuts can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!