Recipe by Lorrie in Montreal
I've had this recipe for years; it was given to me by a friend. This is a moist fragrant quick bread. Use what appeals to you whether it is simply dates and nuts or chocolate chips to make it your own. I have used cooked acorn squash puree in place of pumpkin puree with good results.
Top Review by The Lovable Curmudgeon
I roasted a sweet pumpkin and pureed the pulp in my food processor. We all loved the flavor, but will bump up the spices by half next time. (Which will be quite soon.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dates or 1⁄2 cup nuts or 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour 2 small loaf pans.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add oil, eggs, pumpkin, and water and mix well.
- Stir in dates and nuts.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for approximately 1 hour or when center is pierced with a wooden skewer and comes out clean.
- Let cool and unmold.