Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
In 'Williams-Sonoma Vegetable'
Make and share this Pumpkin Baked With Tomatoes and Rosemary recipe from Food.com.
- Peel the pumpkin, then cut the flesh into slices 1/2-inch thick.
- In a heavy nonstick frying pan, heat 3 tablespoons oil over med-high heat.
- In batches, lightly saute the pumpkin slices in a single layer, turning once, until lightly browned and just tender, about 6 minutes.
- Do not crowd teh pan, or the slices may fall apart.
- Season with salt and pepper; transfer to a platter with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Return the pan to medium heat and add the onion.
- Saute lightly, adding more oil if needed to prevent scorching, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic to taste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, then add the tomatoes and season to taste with salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar.
- Continue to cook uncovered over medium heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the tomatoes break down and the mixture has form a saucelike consistency, 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the rosemary and remove from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Arrange a layer of pumpkin slices in the bottom of an 13 x 9 inch baking dish (or 11 to 12-inch square baking dish) with 3 inch sides.
- Top with about 1/3 of the tomato sauce.
- Repeat, making 3 layers each of pumpkin and sauce and ending with a layer of sauce.
- Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Bake until the top is lightly glazed and browned in spots and the pumpkin is tender when pierced with a knife, 35-45 minutes, checking it after about 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot or at room temperature.