Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a thinner southeasten style pulled pork sauce that is designed to either be incorporated into pulled pork shreds, or as a drench on a pulled pork sandwich. It is very sweet and tangy. Be careful with the cloves, some are much stronger than others. Also, cayenne may be added for a little heat if desired.
- 1 cup yellow mustard
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Combine all ingredients except butter and soy in saucepan.
- Simmer 30 minutes stirring often.
- Add butter and soy.
- Stir until butter is incorporated.
- May be tossed into freshly pulled pork, or used on pulled pork sandwiches.
- To build the perfect pulled pork sandwich, put a slice of onion on a slice of white bread, add a layer of pulled pork, drench with sauce,repeat, cover with a slice of white bread, then pig out,mmmmessssy, but delish.
to do this one better- put your pork shoulder in crock pot-add no liquid, it will make its own. slow cook on low for ten hours then meat is done. Drain and save liquid, and put in fridge or for faster, put it in the freezer. once fat is congealed, spoon it out in trash, then add pork liquid to the sauce while it simmers, then add back to meat in crock pot to serve from there- outstanding!
Made half a recipe and loved it. Will make the entire recipe next time. Went great on our pulled pork. Served with coleslaw and baked beans.
Shredded up some left over ham from Easter & simmered it in this sauce for about an hour. Perfect! Just what I was craving & such a wonderful get away from the sliced ham sandwiches & omelets we've been having the past week. Thanks =D