Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A simple appetizer or snack. Very tasty.
Make and share this Puerto Rican Plantain Tostones recipe from Food.com.
- Peel plantains and slice into 1 inch thick sections.
- Place water, salt and garlic in a large baking pan.
- Soak the plantain slices in the garlic mixture for 20 minutes.
- Pour oil in a pan set at 365 degrees.
- Fry plantains until they are golden brown on all sides.
- Flatten each plantain between sheets of wax paper with a plate or the palm of your hand.
- Dip flattened plantains into garlic mixture and place on a paper towl.
- Place plantains into the oil once again and fry until crispy and golden brown.
- Sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Serve promptly after frying for best taste.
Very flavorful and worth the effort. Paired this with a pernil-style pork roast for a nice summer BBQ last year. Thanks for the posting!
Although my DH is from Puerto Rico, I had never "made" these. I have had plantain in other dishes, but never on it's own. I always liked plantain, but this was wonderfully delicious. We just sat and ate these as a small appetizer, just adding a bit of garlic salt after I fried them. I also served them with a bit of cream cheese and Tabasco sauce, that we ended up dipping a bit of it on the plantain. Yummy! Will make this surely, again and again.
This is actually more a side dish than a snack. Goes perfect with pork, rice and beans, cubed steak w/ onions, sea food etc. It's better when the garlic is added after they are done. Also, they can be seasoned with all purpose seasoning (Adobo) =)