Bizcocho Mojadito Cake
This is a dense cake which is very buttery and a lovely almond flavor. Especially good with frosting and can support fondant. I use Marshmallow Fondant which you can make at home and tastes superior to the pre-made fondant. I'm listing the ingredients for the almond buttercream frosting, however I personally prefer to still use Buttercream Icing I recipe, which is my favorite. I have made the soaking syrup without the Brandy when I made this cake for my daughter's birthday and it was still delicious. ***Just a few thoughts on ingredients: I personally feel if I'm making from scratch to buy a good quality extract, I use a Bourbon Vanilla from Madagascar and only use Pure Almond Extract. Be advised that Almond Extract is a strong flavor, so use less if you prefer or halve it with Vanilla extract. I also never use butter with salt in it. Look for unsalted butter or sweet cream butter. I would prefer to control the amount of salt in my recipes. Happy Baking!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 3 teaspoons almond extract
Almond Buttercream Frosting
- 2 lbs confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups crisco vegetable shortening
- 1 tablespoon vanilla flavoring
- 3 tablespoons almond flavoring
- 3 -6 tablespoons water
- Using mixer on med-high to high speed cream together the butter and sugar, until pale cream in color.
- Add egg yolks, incorporate one at a time. Then add in flavoring extract.
- Lower mixer speed to low and alternately add milk and flour, ending with flour.
- Whisk egg whites to stiff peak consistency. Add to cake batter and fold in gently. Do not add all at once. Add egg whites into batter a small amount at a time.
- Pour into cake pans. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Bring water to boil then add sugar until it dissolves and becomes a syrup, Remove from heat until lukewarm. Then add liquor (if you wish) and almond extract.
Almond Buttercream Frosting:
- Sift powdered sugar 2 - 3 times. In a xtra large mixing bowl beat the shortening until creamy . Slowly add powdered sugar . Then add flavorings. Add water as needed to make a stiff spreadable consistency.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I have two questions. How do you ensure syrup is well distributed jn the cake? And, do you stack the cakes up and then frost them together to make one cake? (No filling as Puerto Rican cake doesn’t need a filling) It May be a silly question, but I usually make one cake in a 10x3 cake pan. I struggle with the syrup. I make wholes in the cake. Pour half of the syrup on the top of the cake. Let it cool down completely. Turn it over a cake platter and pour the rest of the syrup. The problem is that the syrup doesn’t get to the center of the cake. So I’m starting to believe that it is because the cake is too thick and maybe is best to divide batter in two pans. Pour the syrup in each cake and then stack them up and frost it. ???????