Puerto Rican Plantain Lasagna
photo by Vegetarian Hostess
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Coat a large baking pan with cooking spray.
- Arrange cut plantains into a single layer. Lightly salt and coat with cooking spray. The salt will bring out the sweet flavor of the plantains.
- Bake for 7 minutes on each side, or until plantains are golden brown and very tender.
- Once done, set aside to be used later to layer the lasagna.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a large saucepot over a medium high flame. Add onions; sauté until onions are tender. Add pepper and stir for another few minutes until peppers soften.
- Add the Soy Chorizo and 1-cup tomato sauce to the mixture and stir well. Reduce heat to a medium flame and simmer covered for another 5-7 minutes.
- To assemble Pastelon: In a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan, spread remaining ¼ cup tomato sauce. Then layer with plantains. Spread chorizo mixture on top of plantains. Layer with a handful of cheese. Repeat layers until the last layer is cheese. You will most likely get three layers.
- In a separate bowl, thoroughly beat eggs with milk. Pour evenly over the Pastelón. Let sit for a minute allowing the egg mixture to soak inches Top off with just a bit more cheese.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Remove cover and let bake another 7 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!