Pastelón (Sweet Plantain "Lasagna")
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- vegetable oil
- 6 -10 plantains, ripe with black spots, peeled and cut in half
Sofrito or Sazon
- 3 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 cubanelle pepper, minced
- 2 ajies dulces, minced (small sweet chile peppers)
- 1 habanero, minced, Optional but good
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh cilantro or 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- vegetable oil (coconut is my choice) or coconut oil (coconut is my choice)
- 3 3 lbs ground turkey (make a mix of all three) or 3 lbs shredded pork (make a mix of all three)
- 2 teaspoons powdered adobo seasoning (achiote)
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder, yes more
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄3 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 -3 2 -3 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 2 -3 cups shredded oaxaca cheese
- 5 -7 eggs, whisked
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Heat a large deep skillet add oil of choice, enough to generously cover the bottom of your pan. Fry the plantains till they are a golden and just a little crispy on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside on paper towel. Repeat until all are fried and slightly crispy.
- Add annatto oil to the same skillet add the ground meat of choice, garlic, onions, peppers, cilantro and or parsley, cooking over medium heat till meat is browned.
- Add adobo, oregano, cumin, vinegar, bay leaf, olives, raisins, and tomato sauce. Season with black pepper to taste and salt to taste. Simmer 20 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter or oil using the coconut oil from the fried plantains a 9x12 casserole pan.
- Place half the plantain in a single layer and press down on them to fill all gaps.
- Top with half the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle half the cheese over the meat mixture.
- Press the remaining plantains to flatten.
- Place the flattened plantains on the cheese, top with remained meat mixture then cheese.
- Mix the eggs with the milk. Pour the egg evenly over the the dish, let it sit for a few minutes allow the egg to soak inches.
- If you like cheese like i do go ahead and sprinkle additional cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Let rest 15-20 minutes before slicing.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!