A true British classic handed down from generation to generation, the backbone of Sunday Lunch all over the UK. Can be served with traditional roast meat. It is worth experimenting with the shapes of the potato, e.g. balls, squares, even hedgehogs!
- Preheat oven to 220°C (430°F).
- Place lard or oil in roasting tin and put in middle rack of oven.
- Boil Kettle.
- Peel potatoes.
- Chop into quarters (approx 4 cm cubes).
- Par Boil potatoes for 10 minutes with salt.
- Drain potatoes in a colander.
- Shake potatoes until edges are furry (approx 15 seconds).
- Remove roasting tin from oven.
- Carefully place potatoes into hot fat of roasting tin; WARNING, This step is requires caution as fat is at 220°C.
- Place roasting tin, with potatoes back in the oven and cook for 35-45 minutes depending on the size of your potato pieces.
- After 20 minutes turn the potatoes so browning occurs on a different side.
- Potatoes should be crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle.