Top Review by VKuuipo Bridges
I first learned how to make this in the 3rd grade. I lost the recipe over the years and was glad to find it again! A couple of options for variety: add cinnamon to a buttered top or parmesan cheese. It's just like the stuff you buy at Costco!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 4 cups unbleached flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (110-120 degrees)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add salt and sugar to yeast mixture.
- Blend in flour and knead dough until smooth, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Cover and let dough rise until double in bulk.
- Punch down.
- Cut dough into small pieces and roll into ropes.
- Twist ropes into pretzel shapes and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Using a pastry brush, brush pretzels with egg and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Allow pretzels to rise until almost double in bulk.
- Bake at 425°F.
- For 10 to 15 minutes or until browned.
- Best if eaten immediately.
- If not, store in airtight container.