Aunt Annie's Pretzels
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 1/2 pkg)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup bread flour
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- to taste coarse salt
- 2 -4 tablespoons butter (melted)
- Sprinkle yeast on lukewarm water in mixing bowl; stir to dissolve.
- Add sugar, salt, and stir to dissolve; add flour and knead dough until smooth and elastic.
- Let rise at least 1/2 hour.
- While dough is rising, prepare a baking soda water bath with 2 cups warm water and 2 Tbs.
- baking soda.
- Be certain to stir often.
- After dough has risen, pinch off bits of dough and roll into a long rope (about 1/2 inch or less thick) and shape.
- Dip pretzel into soda solution and place on greased baking sheet.
- Allow pretzel to rise again.
- Bake in a 450 degree oven for about 10 minutes or until golden.
- Brush with melted butter and enjoy!
- Toppings: After you brush with butter try sprinkling with coarse salt.
- Or for Auntie Anne's famous cinnamon sugar, try melting a stick of butter in a shallow bowl (big enough to fit the entire pretzel) and in another bowl, make a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
- dip the pretzel into the butter, coating both sides generously.
- then dip again into the cinnamon mixture.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm disable now for a couple years. I was in sales for 25 years and was a policeman for 5 years before that and just floated around a few years before that. I've been married to the same gal for 30 years, got two sons and two grandchildren. I got into the recipe seen and have got hooked on it, I'm not a cook but I'm learning as I go. Enjoy reading the different recipes.