photo by lilsweetie
- Place an oven rack in the center of the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray the 2 baking sheets with the cooking oil.
- Pour the warm water into a large mixing bowl, sprinkle yeast over the water and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Stir until completely dissolved.
- Add sugar, table salt, and 1 cup of flour; stir until blended.
- Add 2 more cups of flour a 1/2 cup at a time, stirring to blend after each addition.
- The dough should be well blended.
- Sprinkle some flour over a clean kitchen surface or board.
- Turn the dough onto the floured surface. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, sprinkling with flour if the dough is sticky.
- Pull the dough into 12 equal pieces.Roll 1 piece into a rope about 15 inches or any length you desire, depending on the size of the heart you want to make. Put the pretzel on a baking sheet and continue with the remaining dough.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and add 1 tablespoon of water.Beat together.
- Brush the egg wash over each pretzel using a pastry brush.
- Sprinkle the coarse salt over the pretzels with your finger.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a baking rack before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Awesome! I have another simular recipe which calls for yeast to foam with sugar in warm water, rather than mixing water, yeast, sugar,1 cup flour together right out of the gate. I also use just egg whites and salt to taste after cooking with a light mist of water to make the Kosher salt stick. This salting procedure works better with warm pretzels. This recipe is a crowd pleaser and the kids love rolling their own pretzels.