Recipe by Dee514
Not sure where I got this recipe. It may have come from one of my cookbooks, or I might have found it on line somewhere (possibly Fagor's or Presto's website). Note: 8 minute cooking time does not include the browning time.
Top Review by Ivana*
I am new to pressure cooking and this was the first time I cooked chicken in the pressure cooker. The dish turned out great and was very easy to make. I added some chilli flakes for heat (my personal taste). Thank you for the recipe. I will make this again.
- 3 lbs roasting chickens, cut up
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1 bell pepper, cut into chunks (any color)
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained and juice reserved
- 1 cup reserved pineapple juice (add water if necessary)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a 4 or 6-quart pressure cooker.
- Brown chicken a few pieces at a time; set aside.
- Return all chicken to pressure cooker; add celery and green pepper.
- Combine pineapple juice, brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and ginger; pour over chicken.
- Close pressure cooker cover securely.
- Place pressure regulator on vent pipe.
- Cook for 8 minutes, at 15 pounds pressure, with regulator rocking slowly.
- Cool pressure cooker at once (cold water method).
- Remove chicken and vegetables to a warm platter.
- Mix cornstarch with cold water; blend into hot liquid.
- Cook and stir until mixture boils and thickens.
- Add pineapple chunks and heat.
- Pour sauce over chicken.
- Serve with rice.