Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a quick, easy version of a German chocolate cake. Great for a pot luck dinner--travels well, no messy frosting to deal with.
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 1⁄3 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons hershey's cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3⁄4 cup coconut
- Grease 9x13 pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine oatmeal and boiling water in small bowl; cover and set aside 10 minutes.
- Cream butter and sugars till fluffy; beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Add oatmeal to mixture stirring to incorporate.
- Add dry ingredients, blending well.
- Pour into pan. Bake 30-40 minutes (ovens vary).
- While cake bakes, prepare topping: Combine all topping ingredients in bowl.
- When cake tests done spread topping evenly over cake. Broil till just bubbly, about 5-6 minutes.
- Watch this last step carefully to prevent over browning.
This is a great cake - love the flavors and truly is very easy. We only did a pumpkin custard for Thanksgiving and had this cake to go with it. Made a nice alternative...thanks for posting!
Yum! Was having a chocolate craving I couldn't stifle. I usually go with something really rich and calorie laden like fudge or brownies,but decided to try to be good. Your recipe has oatmeal, so it's healthy...right? Anyway, it was a delicious, moist cake that was thoroughly enjoyed.