Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
You can use homemade pound cake for this recipe, but I have listed store bought for ease of preparation. This recipe comes from Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room in Savannah, Georgia. Prep and Cook time does not include the 6 hours of chilling time!
FOR THE PUDDING
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 4 egg yolks (save the whites for later use in the meringue)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (1 lb) butter pound cake, cubed (I use Sara Lee frozen All Butter Pound Cake)
- 4 large ripe bananas, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together 4 cups half-and-half, 4 egg yolks, 1 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cornstarch, and 1/4 tsp salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat; cook, whisking constantly, 13 to 15 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in 3 tbsp butter and 2 tsp vanilla until butter melts.
- Layer half of pound cake cubes, half of bananas, and half of pudding mixture in 1 3-qt round baking dish. Repeat layers. Cover pudding, and chill for 6 hours.
- Remove pudding mixture from the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and 1/8 tsp salt.
- Beat 4 egg whites and 1/4 tsp vanilla at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Add sugar mixture, 1 tbsp at a time, and beat 2 to 3 minutes or until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves.
- Spread meringue over pudding.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Absolutely decadent, for sure, but oh so great tasting & satisfying, too! I did use the store-bought pound cake this time around, but another time when I make it, I won't be is such a hurry & will take the time to do the cake up homemade! This is certainly a keeper of a recipe! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in Newest Zaar recipe tag]