Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
In 'From the Ground Up' by James Villas
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 scallions, finely chopped (part of green tops included)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 lb fresh shrimp, shelled and deveined
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat; add the scallions and bay leaf, and stir until soft.
- Add the shrimp and salt and pepper to taste; stir until the shrimp are pink, about 3 minutes.
- Add the sherry, increase the heat, and boil until almost all the liquid is evaporated.
- Discard the bay leaf, transfer the shrimp to a cutting board and finely dice.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining 5 tablespoons butter and the cream cheese and stir until well blended and smooth.
- Add the shrimp, scallion mixture, lemon juice, and chives and stir until well blended.
- Scrape the spread into a 1 1/2 cup crock and chill for at least 2 hours before serving with crackers or toast points.