1/2 Photos of Potatoes O'Brien
This recipe for crisp, panfried potatoes with peppers and onions originated in the early 1900s at a Manhattan restaurant known as Jack's. You can vary the recipe by substituting any of your favorite pepper varieties. Serve the potatoes with scrambled eggs, burgers or short ribs. This recipe comes from Casual Cusines of the World.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, seeded,deribbed and finely diced
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, seeded,deribbed and finely diced
- 2 lbs small white potatoes or 2 lbs red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt 1/2 tablespoon of the butter with 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- 2Add the onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and just beginning to caramelize, 5-7 minutes.
- 3Do not allow the onion to scorch.
- 4Add the red and green peppers and saute until beginning to soften, 3-5 minutes longer.
- 5Transfer to a serving bowl and set aside.
- 6Add 1/2 tablespoon each of the remaining butter and olive oil to the same pan.
- 7Add half of the cubed potatoes and cook, turning to brown all sides, 5-7 minutes.
- 8If the potatoes are too dry, add a little more butter or oil.
- 9Transfer the browned potatoes to the bowl holding the pepper mixture.
- 10Repeat with the remaining butter, olive oil and potatoes.
- 11Return the mixture to the pan.
- 12Raise the heat to high so that it quickly warms through.
- 13Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 14Add the parsley and stir to combine.
- 15Return to the serving bowl and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potatoes O'Brien
Serving Size: 1 (196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 200.5
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 365.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 3.2 g