Recipe by BriarCraft
A natural with baked ham or smoked sausages, this comfort food is made with the same basic sauce I use for Macaroni and Cheese. As a variation, 1 cup of thinly sliced onions added to the potatoes is tasty.
Top Review by lazyme
This was a nice potato dish. There were no liquids in the ingredient list, so I added milk until the sauce was thickened before pouring over the potatoes and onions. Mine cooked in about 1 hour. Thanks for sharing. Made for Spring PAC 2014.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 2 cups medium cheddar, shredded
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely grated
- 6 cups red potatoes or 6 cups gold potatoes, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a 2-quart saucepan.
- Add flour and seasonings, stir or whisk until smooth. Whisk in milk and continue to cook on medium-low heat, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat under saucepan. Add cheese and grated onion and stir until melted.
- Wash and slice potatoes approximately 1/8 inch thick. Do not peel.
- Place potato slices (and 1 cup sliced onion, if you choose) in a large 3-quart casserole. Note: if you use a smaller casserole, place it on a pizza pan or cookie sheet to catch any sauce that bubbles over.
- Pour cheese sauce on top and fold into potato slices.
- Bake at 375F for 45 minutes, stir gently, and return to oven. Bake for an additional 30-45 minutes, until potatoes are tender.