Prep 25 mins
Cook 27 mins
This is a different, but super combo, the taste is fantastic, I am quite sure that you will love this recipe. Enjoy!
- 3 cups zucchini, cut in 1/2 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon or 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 3 cups cooked peeled and sliced potatoes
- set oven to 350 degrees.
- butter a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a med saucepan, cook zucchini in water 5 minutes or until tender; drain, set aside.
- In saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and bouillon.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Cook and stir until bouillon dissolves and sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat; add cheeses, pimiento and thyme.
- Stir until cheese melts.
- In baking dish, layer 1/2 potatoes, zucchini and sauce.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake uncovered, 25 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Top with onions, bake 2 minutes longer.
Based on kittencal's reputation for tasty recipes I believe this would be fine as written, but since a previous viewer wrote that it was a little bland I chose to add a couple of tablespoons of minced onion to the butter, along with a coupe of dashes of garlic powder. I will use this recipe again.
This recipe was quick to prepare, but I just thought it lacked flavor. This is a recipe I will try again , but I will add some extras, like hot sauce and more spices garlic etc to give it a little kick.