Last Minute Mixed Vegetable Au Gratin
- Ready In:
- 4 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 slices bread, toasted to medium
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1 can cream of chicken soup or 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a 2 quart baking dish well with non-stick spray.
- Cook the vegetables until just barely done; they will cook more in the baking process.
- Drain and set aside to cool as you continue.
- Using a blender, make the toast into crumbs; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter or margarine and the oil on a medium heat; saute the onions in the butter and oil until transparent.
- Add the soup, milk, mustard powder and salt and pepper and cook, whisking very often, until the mixture is bubbly, thickened, and a bit reduced; remove from heat.
- Put the vegetables in a large bowl, then stir in the sauce mixture, about 2 tablespoons of the bread crumbs, and 1/2 cup shredded cheese; blend well.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and combine well with the remaining bread crumbs.
- Mix in the remaining cheese and sprinkle the mixture evenly over the vegetables.
- Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until the mixture is heated through and the top is browned.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I enjoying cooking, baking and experimenting with new, ethnic, and out-of-the-ordinary recipes. I live in Pennsylvania with my crazy cat, Da Fuzz (aka Demoncat), who is spoiled beyond human comprehension.