Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
From the Penzeys Spice Company
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 2 medium onions, peeled and minced
- 2 stalks celery, peeled and minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- In a heavy 4 quart covered soup pot, cook bacon until crisp over medium heat.
- Don't heat too high, as you will be using some of the bacon drippings and they shouldn't be too dark.
- Remove bacon to a paper towel.
- Drain off all but about 2 tablespoons bacon drippings.
- Add minced onions, celery, carrots, marjoram and thyme.
- Stir to blend.
- Cover and cook over low for 10 minutes.
- Add raw potatoes, stir to coat, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Push the vegetables to one side of the pan, then stir in flour 1 tablespoon at a time.
- When the flour has all been incorporated, mix with the vegetables.
- Add the bacon, cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add 1 quart chicken stock and stir until smooth.
- Add the rest of stock and bring to a boil.
- Add saffron threads.
- Reduce heat to a simmer for about 1/2 hour until potatoes are thoroughly cooked.
- Add parsley flakes.
- Taste, then season with salt and ground black pepper as desired.