Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
An easy, impressive recipe to serve for your next vegetarian dinner party. Uses simple ingredients, but has a sophisticated flavour.
- 500 g floury potatoes (like Kind Edward or Maris Piper)
- 4 egg yolks
- 100 g parmesan cheese, grated fine
- 1 dash fresh nutmeg
- 6 egg whites
- 500 g crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch sugar
- fresh basil leaf, shredded
- Heat oven to 190°C; butter 6 ramekin dishes and set aside.
- Boil potatoes in their skins and leave to cool. When able to handle, peel off skins and mash potato flesh really well (no lumps!) in a large bowl. Let cool a few minutes.
- Whisk egg yolks into potato mixture and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, whisk egg whites until stiff and dry. Fold half the egg whites into potato mixture, then fold in the rest lightly with a large metal spoon, cutting through mixture and turning it over until evenly mixed, but still airy. Divide between dishes and set ramekins on baking sheet. Sprinkle over Parmesan and bake 20-25 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- For the tomato sauce, put tomatoes in pan with olive oil, salt, pepper and sugar. Heat gently and simmer 2-3 minutes until slightly thickened.
- When souffles are ready, invert each one onto a tea towel, then put right-side up on a wared plate. Spoon sauce around souffle and sprinkle with basil leaves.