Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the Essence of Emeril.
- 1 large baking potato, like russets, about (8 ounces)
- 1⁄2 medium onion (about 4 ounces)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 lemon, juice of
- salt and pepper
- oil, for pan frying
- 1⁄3 cup applesauce, for garnish
- Using a food processor or a box grater, grate the potato and onion on the large hole into a bowl.
- Using your hands, squeeze out the excess liquid and place the dry potato onion mixture in a bowl.
- Add the egg, parsley, flour, breadcrumbs, thyme, lemon juice and seasonings. Mix well.
- Heat 1/2 cup of oil in a heavy skillet.
- Add 1/2 cup mounds of potato mixture to the hot oil, and flatten down to a 3/4-inch thick pancake.
- Turn heat to medium.
- Cook for 5 minutes on each side, or until crispy and golden.
- Serve with the applesauce.
I followed this recipe exactly and the resulting pancakes were wonderful. The directions were easy to follow and precise. Before serving I did blot the pancakes of paper towelling to absorb some of the cooking oil. Made for Zaar Stars Tag.
I halved the recipe for two of us, but they were SO delicious that I could certainly have eaten more than my share of these. Fantastic blend of flavours... thyme, lemon juice: these potato pancakes already contained the ingredients I would have been inclined to add had they not been in the list of ingredients. My only addition was 2 cloves of minced garlic, which I added to the grated ingredients in step one. And the apple sauce was brilliant with these. I'll certainly be making these again. Thank you for sharing another wonderful recipe!
Very nice pancakes! I ate mine with ketchup, I didn't have applesauce. This made a nice breakfast! Thanks Lainey!