Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A tasty, winter-warmer-upper, this lasagna uses thinly-sliced potatoes intead of pasta. The recipe comes from Canada's FOODLAND ONTARIO. (Your onion, garlic and potatoes do not have to be former Ontario residents but ...)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium potatoes (2 lbs/1kg, peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded cheese (mix up Cheddar, Swiss, and Mozzarella for company, cheddar will do for family)
- In a large skillet, cook beef, garlic and onion over medium heat, breaking up the meat with a spoon.
- After about 10 minutes- or when the meat is cooked through- drain off any fat.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, toss potatoes with flour and oil.
- Spread half the potato slices in the bottom of a shallow 8-cup (2L) baking dish.
- Spoon half the meat sauce evenly over the potatoes and top with half the cheese.
- REPEAT with remaining potato, meat sauce and cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350*F (180*C) oven for 45 minutes- or until the potatoes are tender.
- Uncover and bake for a further 5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- TIP: If covering dish with foil, spray foil with non-stick vegetable spray to prevent cheese from sticking to it.
Good recipe. Tried it again without the italian seasoning. I prefer it without.