Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
I got this recipe from a friend, who got it from her Ukrainian mother. It’s delicious right out of the oven. It’s even better the next day, sliced and toasted or grilled. I serve it with a dollop of sour cream and apple butter on the side.
- 1 lb bacon, cut in pieces
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 8 large eggs
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 16 medium potatoes
- salt and pepper
- Cook bacon in a large heavy skillet until crisp. Remove bacon.
- Sauté chopped onion in bacon drippings until translucent. Set aside.
- Combine eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix well.
- Peel potatoes and grate coarsely into milk mixture.
- Add crumbled bacon and cooked onion (including bacon drippings).
- Stir well and pour into a greased 13” x 9” baking pan.
- Bake at 425°F for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350°F and bake 1 hour.