Recipe by Jenipurr
My mom found this recipe a few decades ago, and I've since modified it significantly to make it more healthy. This is one of my favorite soups, and I make it often during the winter.
- 3 medium potatoes
- 3 carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 onion (yellow or white)
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese
- 3 cups water
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel carrots and potatoes.
- Cut all vegetables into 1-2 inch chunks and place in large pot.
- Add water (Note- I like my soup thick. If you prefer thinner soup, increase the water to 4 cups).
- Bring to boil, then turn heat down.
- Cover and simmer about 45 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- While the soup is cooking, grate the cheese and set aside.
- Remove soup from heat.
- Pour soup into a blender and pulse until just blended (until no big chunks remain).
- Return soup to the pot and stir in the cheese.
- Continue stirring until all cheese is melted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm with bread or rolls.