Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Good with chops, meatloaf or sausages
- 1 lb potato, peeled
- 1⁄4 head cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb celeriac, peeled
- 1⁄4 pint milk
- 2 -4 ounces butter
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup of grated cheese (optional)
- Cut the potatoes and celeriac into even sized pieces and cook in boiling water until tender. Use a pan that you can also use in the oven. Drain the vegetables and return to the pan.
- Meanwhile cook the shredded cabbage. Either by steaming it over the potatoes and celeriac or by cooking in a small amount of boiling water. Drain the cabbage.Keep hot.
- Mash the celeriac and potatoes with the milk, butter, salt and pepper.
- Add the drained cabbage to the mashed vegetables and mix well together.
- Smooth the top and sprinkle with the cheese if using.
- Bake in a medium hot oven until golden and bubbling.
I didn't have any celeriac but decided to go ahead and make it anyway. It was different. My Mother and I enjoyed this. I served this with pork chops. I can see me making this again. Thanks for the recipe. Made for Spring PAC 2009.