Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
We love potato soup at our house. Since this one starts with the frozen hash browns, there are no potatoes to peel. Sometimes I save the bacon and use it as a garnish. Just serve it the way your family likes it best.I found this soup in a cookbook that I was reading one night. If you decide to add more potatoes (the bag holds more than 4 cups) just be sure to add more water.
- Fry the bacon in a skillet until crisp.
- Add the onion to the bacon grease and saute until tender.
- Pour off some of the fat. As bad as it is to say the grease does give it a wonderful flavor.
- Combine the potatoes( I often thaw and cook mine a little bit in the microwave), bacon, onion from the skillet,and water in a 3 quart pan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring once in a while.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the soup, sour cream, milk, and seasonings.
- Heat to serving temperature, but do not boil.
- Garnish with shredded cheese, bacon (if you didn't put it in), and/or green onions.