Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A yummy and different loaf of quick bread that's prepared like a poke cake. This was listed in a local family newspaper advertisement around St. Patrick's Day, but you don't have to wait until March to enjoy this bread! We really enjoy it all year long.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 9X5X3 bread pan (or use Recipe #78579).
- In large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add butter, egg yolks, milk and vanilla and mix well.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 60-70 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. While bread is cooling prepare the glaze.
- For Glaze:.
- In sauce pan combine orange juice, zest and powdered sugar. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it comes to a boil.
- After bread has cooled remove from the pan and place on wax paper. Poke holes in the top of the bread with a fork, or a long toothpick (I use a bamboo skewer). Pour the warm glaze over the top slowly, a little at a time, to fully saturate the bread.
What a DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!! Had to take the bread out of the oven after only 50 minutes because the top was burning. I bake quick breads almost weekly, so I KNOW it is not my oven. I chose this recipe because I often have leftover egg yolks and hoped this would be the way to use them. (I even wondered if the recipe might be incorrect ?)
Absolutely outstanding!!!! The best quick bread I ever made! Wonderful stuff.