2 hrs 30 mins
Recipe source: realtor's newsletter
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 -2 tablespoon chipotle chile, pureed (canned in adobe sauce)
- 2 (30 ounce) cans hominy, drained but reserve liquid
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, stemmed, garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 6 radishes, sliced, garnish
- 1 large avocado, diced, garnish
- 2 limes, cut into wedges, garnish
- corn tortilla, warmed
- 1In a large soup pot combine first 6 ingredients (pork - chipotle chiles).Add the liquid from the hominy along with the bay leaf and enough water (about 2 cups) to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add half of the onion and simmer covered for 1 hour.
- 2Add hominy to soup and increase heat to med low, cooking uncovered for 45-60 minutes or until pork is tender and soup thickens.
- 3Stir in garlic and cook 10 more minutes.
- 4Stir in chopped cilantro just before serving.
- 5To serve prepare dishes of garnishes (onion, extra oregano, radishes, avocado, and lime wedges). Serve posole in bowls with tortillas.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Posole
Serving Size: 1 (413 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 651.6
- Calories from Fat 321
- Total Fat 35.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 107.3 mg
- Sodium 1090.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.2 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 31.7 g