Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Recipe source: realtor's newsletter
- 2 lbs pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 -2 tablespoon chipotle chile, pureed (canned in adobe sauce)
- 2 (30 ounce) cans hominy, drained but reserve liquid
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, stemmed, garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 6 radishes, sliced, garnish
- 1 large avocado, diced, garnish
- 2 limes, cut into wedges, garnish
- corn tortilla, warmed
- In a large soup pot combine first 6 ingredients (pork - chipotle chiles).Add the liquid from the hominy along with the bay leaf and enough water (about 2 cups) to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add half of the onion and simmer covered for 1 hour.
- Add hominy to soup and increase heat to med low, cooking uncovered for 45-60 minutes or until pork is tender and soup thickens.
- Stir in garlic and cook 10 more minutes.
- Stir in chopped cilantro just before serving.
- To serve prepare dishes of garnishes (onion, extra oregano, radishes, avocado, and lime wedges). Serve posole in bowls with tortillas.
I would like to give this dish 10 stars please. It was fantastic! Thank you ellie_