Recipe by Lorac
Rice layered with a pork and tomato sauce and cheddar cheese. Posted by request from the "American Gothic Cookbook".
Top Review by ragsteinrn
I thought the recipe should have called for more rice. I used left over pork roast and minute brown rice and increased oven temp to 400 and decreased cooking time to 35 minutes. Very easy and good flavor. Next time, I think I will increase the rice to 1 cup and add the juice with the mushrooms for extra liquid. Other than that, an easy tasty way to use leftover pork roast.
- 1 lb fresh pork, cubed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 (1 lb) can tomatoes
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 (3 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese (1/2 pound)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown pork in a frying pan and set aside.
- Add onions to the pan and saute until golden,.
- Stir in tomatoes, celery, mushrooms, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Layer half of the meat mixture into a 3 quart casserole.
- Top with half the rice, then half the cheese.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake covered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until meat is tender and liquid is absorbed.