Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Rice layered with a pork and tomato sauce and cheddar cheese. Posted by request from the "American Gothic Cookbook".
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown pork in a frying pan and set aside.
- Add onions to the pan and saute until golden,.
- Stir in tomatoes, celery, mushrooms, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Layer half of the meat mixture into a 3 quart casserole.
- Top with half the rice, then half the cheese.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake covered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until meat is tender and liquid is absorbed.
I thought the recipe should have called for more rice. I used left over pork roast and minute brown rice and increased oven temp to 400 and decreased cooking time to 35 minutes. Very easy and good flavor. Next time, I think I will increase the rice to 1 cup and add the juice with the mushrooms for extra liquid. Other than that, an easy tasty way to use leftover pork roast.
Don't know where American Gothic got the title "Pork Risotto" because there's nothing creamy about this dish. Not that that's a bad thing. Dh rates this dish a five, I think three, so I'm compromising with 4 stars. Just a difference in personal tastes. Pork was tender and liquid absorbed after 1 1/2 hours. Prep time was also right on.