Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Another recipe from my sister-in-law. She made a version of this over Christmas and they were delish. They sound like a lot of work, but it isn't. Serving Size depends on the size of ribs. The time to make varies by how long you let it marinade.
- 2 racks of baby-back pork ribs
- 4 stalks lemongrass
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 4 shallots, peeled
- 2 thai bird chiles, stemmed, halved & seeded
- 1⁄2 cup fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 small Thai chile, stemmed, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brewed espresso
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons golden brown sugar
- 3 large fresh cilantro stems
- sesame seeds (Garnish) (optional)
- For the Marinade:.
- Trim bottom ½ inch from lemongrass stalks and discard.
- Starting from bottom, thinly slice remaining lemongrass until rings are no longer tinged with pink; discard remainder of each stalk.
- Place lemongrass in small processor and mince finely.
- Add sugar, oil, shallots, and chiles; process until finely minced.
- Add fish sauce until blended.
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours (better overnight) in a Zip bag.
- For the Sauce:.
- Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add shallots, garlic, ginger and chile. Saute until soft about 3 minutes.
- Mix ketchup and all remaining ingredients.
- Bring mixture to boil; reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Transfer sauce to blender and puree until smooth.
- To prepare the Ribs:.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Place ribs bone side down, atop rack on rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast for 1 hour.
- Brush ribs generously on both sides with some honey-hoisin sauce.
- Roast 15 minutes.
- Brush ribs again with honey-hoisin sauce.
- Roast another 15 minutes.
- Cut ribs up and brush the ribs with the remainder of the honey-hoisin sauce.
- Add toasted sesame seeds over ribs, optional.
OMGawd......drooool all day smelling this & mmmm MMMM tastes just as good. Nice & sticky, too! I used a jar of lemongrass (drained). I used jalapenos instead of thai bird chiles. I was out of ketchup so I used kecap manis (yes, really, lol). Falling off the bone finger lickin' awesome. Made for the Asian Forum's Chinese/Vietnamese New Year Tag. Thanks, Kiersten!