1/1 Photo of Pork Pie (Raised)
3 hrs 20 mins
Judi Caston's Note:
An old English recipe for the still popular Raised Pork Pie. Eaten cold, served in a small wedge, with a nice green salad and some pickles, it's delicious, and worth the effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 small veal bones
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 4 black peppercorns
- 2 lbs boneless pork legs or 2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 pint milk
- 1/4 pint water, mixed with the milk
- 5 ounces lard (i.e.Crisco) or 5 ounces vegetable shortening (i.e.Crisco)
- 1 lb flour or 2 cups flour
- beaten egg (to glaze)
- 1Put first four ingredients into a saucepan, cover with water.
- 2Heat to a simmer for 20 minutes, then boil to reduce liquid to about half to three quarters of a cup.
- 3Strain and cool.
- 4Mix pork with spices and herbs, salt and pepper.
- 5Bring milk,water and lard to a boil, gradually beat it into the flour and salt in a bowl.
- 6Knead 3-4 minutes.
- 7Roll out two thirds of the pastry, line an 8" spring form pan.
- 8Add the meat mixture and 4 Tbsp.
- 9of the meat stock to the pie case.
- 10Roll out remaining dough to form lid, seal edges well with water.
- 11Make a hole in center of pie.
- 12Glaze with beaten egg.
- 13Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 14Cover loosely with foil, reduce heat to 350 degrees, and bake a further two and a half hours.
- 15Cool pie.
- 16Warm the remaining jellied stock, then pour into the center hole in the pie.
- 18Note: If you don't have bones for the stock, use 2 tsp.
- 19of Gelatine to 1/2 pint stock.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Pie (Raised)
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 897.0
- Calories from Fat 501
- Total Fat 55.7 g
- Saturated Fat 20.5 g
- Cholesterol 137.7 mg
- Sodium 471.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 35.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: