Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Chorizo, bacon and ground pork are all in the filling. Recipe is from Rachael Ray.
Make and share this Pork Lovers Tamale Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups boiling water
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon corn oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 lb mexican chorizo sausage (raw) or 1⁄3 lb chopped spanish chorizo (cured)
- 4 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground coriander (about 1/2 palmful)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup beer
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- cilantro leaves and sliced scallion, for garnishing
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk. Whisk in the cornmeal, then whisk in the boiling water and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until very thick, 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the butter and honey.
- Preheat the broiler. Meanwhile, in a large ovenproof skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat until smoking. Add the chorizo and bacon and render the fat for 3 minutes. Stir in the pork and cook, crumbling the meat, until browned, about 8 minutes. Season with the thyme, chili powder, coriander, salt and pepper. Add the onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes to soften. Stir in the beer to deglaze for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes to heat through.
- Spoon the thick cornmeal over the pan and spread evenly. Top with the cheddar and brown under the broiler for 2 minutes. Serve from the skillet, garnished with the cilantro and scallions.