Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Very simple, but delicious comfort food. I concocted this from scratch last fall.
Make and share this Pork Chops With Onion and Mushroom Gravy recipe from Food.com.
- 4 boneless pork chops, 3/4 inches thick
- 3⁄4 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 (4 ounce) can canned mushroom slices, with liquid
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown gravy mix
- 3 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Heat oil in heavy pan over medium heat.
- Add pork chops and brown on both sides.
- Remove pork chops and set aside.
- Add onions to pan and cook until limp.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp flour over onions and stir until flour starts to brown.
- Stir in 2 cups water and the mushrooms with their liquid.
- Heat to boiling and then reduce to simmering.
- Add 1/2 cup water to 1/4 cup brown gravy mix,mix well and add to water in pan, stirring well.
- Add pork chops to pan, cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Use the additional water to thin the gravy, if needed.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or rice.
This recipe was pretty tasty..I modified it a little bit by adding some more flour because the gravy seemed a little bit too watery. If I make it again, I will probably use more onions and mushrooms and maybe some carrots and celery. The pork and gravy were terrific over some homemade mashed potatoes with some cornbread and broccoli!
This was southern comfort food at it finest. I followed the recipe except used fresh mushrooms. Wonderful flavor and made for a great meal as the tornados were swirling all around us. Thanks
Knowing that the kids don't like onions and mushrooms, I had to split this recipe into 2 parts. Ended up with 2 pork chops with gravy and 2 without, but everyone like them. Served these with cornbread, mashed potatoes, and Southern style Pinto beans. Satisfying meal!