Recipe by M&Mers
This easy dish has a very nice crunchy topping. We usually serve it with mashed potatoes but baked potatoes work well too.
Top Review by Evie*
Sometimes I have trouble with pork chops being dry..well not with this recipe. I scaled back a little on ingredients as I only used 3 pork chops, after removing from oven I drained some liquid before adding the gratin..no problem with the browning..and was rewarded with delicious tender tasty pork chops. Thanks for a great recipe, I will add to my favourite file.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 cups onions, sliced
- 3 cups red peppers, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 pork loin chops (about 2 lbs)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- In large frying pan, melt 2 tbsp butter over medium heat; cook onions for about 5 minutes.
- Add red peppers and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt, pepper and thyme.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- In same frying pan, melt remaining butter.
- Brown chops on both sides.
- Spread half of the onion mixture in a 7 by 11 inch baking dish.
- Top with pork chops and then with remaining onion mixture.
- Drizzle with chicken stock.
- Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 400F degree (200C) oven for 40 minutes or until chops are tender.
- For gratin, combine all ingredients.
- Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake for 10 minutes longer to form crisp topping.
- If desired, brown topping by broiling for another 2 minutes.