2 hrs 20 mins
Chef 4TeenSon's Note:
entry in RSC #10.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -6 pork chops
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked pearl barley (not the quick-cooking type)
- 3 jalapeno peppers, finely minced
- 2 large carrots, chopped into 3/8 pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil (or 1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh, minced)
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped into 1/4 pieces
- 1 cup toasted pecan pieces
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and chopped into 3/8 pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Season pork chops with salt. Heat a large pot over high heat. Brown the pork chops on each side and set aside, reserving drippings and the pan for the gravy.
- 3In a separate pot, bring the chicken broth, barley, peppers and carrots to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in onion, pecans and apple, along with salt and pepper to taste. Spread evenly into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange the pork chops over the barley mix.
- 4Cover and bake 1 ½ hours until the barley is tender and the pork has reached an internal temperature of 155 degrees F. (Thickness of pork chops and actual oven temperatures vary.).
- 550 minutes later, heat the pan used to sear the pork chops over medium heat, add the butter and ¼ cup of the chicken stock.
- 6When boiling, scrape any brown remains from the bottom of the pan. Add the onions, syrup and sugar to the pan, stirring occasionally until onions are soft and caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- 7Add the flour to the pan and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Add the remaining chicken stock; bring to a boil while stirring. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm until the pork chops and barley is done.
- 8Serve pork chops with gravy over the top and the barley on the side.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Chops With Barley Pilaf and Onion Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (605 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1039.2
- Calories from Fat 388
- Total Fat 43.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 92.1 mg
- Sodium 1500.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 125.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.5 g
- Sugars 27.4 g
- Protein 43.4 g