Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
This is definitely comfort food at its BEST! Make it with pork or chicken it's delicious either way. I've seen many variations to this recipe and this is what I came up with that I liked the best.
- 2 -3 cups cubed pork chops or 2 -3 cups chicken
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 24 ounces shredded hash browns
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 -2 cup French-fried onions
- Brown meat and set aside.
- Combine: soup, milk and sour cream.
- Stir in potatos, half of cheese and half of french fried onions.
- Spoon mixture into a 9x13 pan.
- Arrange meat over mixture.
- Bake covered at 350° for 75 minutes.
- Then top with remaining cheese and onion
- Bake UNCOVERED an additional 5-7 minutes.
This turned out better than I expected. I was worried that the potatoes would get soggy but they were crispy and delicious in the sauce. I did feel like the pork got a little dry, but next time I'll cook it less before putting it in the oven, so it can finish there. This was good hearty comfort food and I can't wait for a cold night to make it again.
Oh my, if you like these types of casseroles, you will love this! I made it exactly as stated except I added fresh mushrooms, he he he. I also used the full amount of french fried onions. I cubed my pork into about 3/4 to 1 inch cubes, seared them brown over very high heat and if they weren't quite done, the casserole cooked them the rest of the way, I love the fact the meat is browned first, gives it good flavor. Thanks SimpleMom, very good and very easy!!!
Loved this casserole!!!! Very simple with ingredients I usually have on hand. I used 4 pork chops instead of cubed pork and I coated the chops in some seasoned flour before browning. I then followed the recipe as written. Thanks simplemom for another great recipe!!!!! Made for Spring PAC 2008.