Little meatballs rolled in rice, hence the name porcupine balls! This is an old recipe, but good! With minimal ingredients it is easy to make and budget friendly. Hope you enjoy!
- Beat egg slightly with water and 2 tablespoons of soup mix.
- Mix lightly with ground beef and 1/4 cup of the rice.
- Shape into balls.
- Roll remaining 1/4 cup of rice pressing tightly into meat.
- Heat tomato juice to boiling and stir in remaining onion soup mix and sugar; reduce heat to simmer.
- Place meat balls in saucepan of tomato juice and cover.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, 50 minutes or until rice puffs out around meat.