Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes from Canadian Living magazine. It is easy to make and very pretty.
- 1⁄3 cup poppy seed
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 4 teaspoons milk or 4 teaspoons cream
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed, to sprinkle on top
- Soak poppy seeds in milk for 2 hours or overnight.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Beat in vanilla, lemon rind, and juice.
- Combine flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with poppy seed mixture.
- Turn into 9x5" loaf pan.
- Bake in 300 oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Let cool for 15 minute and remove cake from pan.
- Cool on wire rack and ice.