Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is so easy and fast, we often pair it with a salad to have a delicious dinner on the table in under 30 minutes. This recipe came from Georgia Wamack, (my daughter's grandmother) whose cooking I literally crave. I am posting it so I don't forget how to make it. I don't get the opportunity to have her good country cookin' much these days.....(sigh).
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 green bell peppers (sliced or chunked into bite size pieces)
- 1 large onion (sliced or chunked into bite size pieces)
- 1 (16 ounce) packageyour favorite smoked sausage (linked and sliced lengthwise and then sliced again into bite size segments)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (7 ounce) can mushrooms, drained (or 8 oz package of cleaned, sliced mushrooms)
- TO PREPARE RICE:.
- Put 3 cups of hot water into medium saucepan on high heat with lid on pot. As soon as water begins to boil, add rice stirring as you add rice and then immediately turn heat down to med-low and cover. Cook, covered (without stirring) for 18 minutes. Check at 18 minutes to see if you need to cook more of the water out or not, if so cook for 2 minutes longer or as needed until rice is done.
- meanwhile --.
- TO PREPARE SAUSAGE AND VEGGIE MIXTURE:.
- Meanwhile, saute' onions, green peppers and smoked turkey sausage in pan on medium heat with a little oil coating bottom of pan (I usually need about 1 1/2 TB of Olive oil) until onions and green peppers are tender-crisp and sausage pieces are getting brown edges. If using fresh mushrooms, add them just as sausage edges are getting brown and cook all for 2 more minutes.
- When veggies and sausage is cooked, add 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup (and canned mushrooms, if using). Stir often on med-low heat until hot.
- Serve over your hot rice.