1/2 Photos of Poached Cod With Lemon-Butter Sauce
Chef Kate's Note:
From Pierre Franey, a very simple presentation of cod that really brings out the best in the fish. Delicious with a rich, spicy vegetable dish. If you want to concentrate the lemon flavor, grate a little lemon peel over the finished cod. You can also add chopped capers to the sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs cod fish fillets
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 whole peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Cut cod fillets into four serving size pieces and place in large pan in one layer.
- 2Add the milk and the water to the pan so that the fish is barely covered--if necessary add more water.
- 3Add the bay leaf, the parsley sprigs, peppercorns and cloves.
- 4Bring to a simmer and cover and cook gently for three to four minutes until fish just flakes--cooking time will depend upon the thickness of the fish--do not overcook.
- 5While the fish is poaching, start the sauce by melting one tablespoon of the butter in a saucepan and briefly cooking the garlic and the shallots in the butter.
- 6Remove 1/4 cup of the poaching liquid and add it to the sauce, stirring all the while.
- 7Bring the sauce to a boil, add the lemon juice and swirl in the remaining butter, one tablespoon at a time.
- 8Remove from the heat and add the minced parsley.
- 9Taste the sauce and adjust seasoning.
- 10Drain the fish and serve it hot with the lemon-butter sauce poured over it.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poached Cod With Lemon-Butter Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (351 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 289.1
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 112.4 mg
- Sodium 127.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 32.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: