Recipe by Missy Wombat
The cookie crust for this recipe is a wonderful secret and I use it as the base of many pies now. I take several shortcuts with this recipe. I live in the tropics so I rarely chill things as it just goes soft within 5 minutes. So I just press the dough straight into a Pyrex flan tin (or similar table suitable dish that can tolerate the oven). I save any rolling for the lattice top and I'm not that fussy with how it looks as it comes out well and homemade looking and disappears so quickly. I use the big 800g + tins of plums and often use 2 tins as I like plums. This crust works will with other fruit that is pie friendly.
Top Review by Deb Wolf
This is a knock-out dessert; perfect for entertaining. The crust is tender and the lemon zest added a subtle contract to the filling. The plum filling is just right, not too sweet. I took Missy's suggestion and didn't bother to roll out the crust. For the top lattice, I rolled ropes of dough between my hands and placed them on top of the fruit. My 80+ mother-in-law (a top notch natural cook)loved this tart. She said it reminded her of desserts she had in her youth in Romania. Deb Wolf, Huntley, IL
- 88.74 ml butter
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 59.14 ml ground walnuts
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml grated fresh lemon rind
- 414.03 ml flour
- 1.23 ml baking powder
- 680.38 g plums, cut into sixths, about 4 cups
- 29.58 ml flour
- 44.37 ml sugar, more for a sweeter filling
- 29.58 ml ground walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, walnuts cinnamon and lemon rind and mix well.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together.
- Add to the eggs and mix to a smooth dough.
- Chill several hours or until firm.
- Butter and flour a 9 inch cake pan.
- Roll half of the dough into a circle and fit it into the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Mix the plums with the flour, sugar and walnuts and pour into the pastry lined pan.
- Roll out remaining dough and cut into 1/2 inch strips.
- Lay them over the top of the tart to make a lattice top.
- Trim edges.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 40-45 minutes until crust is brown.