Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a comfort food recipe from The Jewish Exponent 10/11/12. I love plums and I love bread pudding so together this was a culinary hit. I made it with Italian Plums, but it can be prepared with well drained canned plums. I made it with soy milk but don't tell DH.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 8 cups challah, dry, crusts removed and cut into 1/4-1/2 inch cubes (about 8 thick slices)
- 6 plums, pitted and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, optional at my house
- 1 quart milk
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 -4 tablespoons damson plum jelly (can substitute other fruit jelly)
- Preheat 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a 4 quart ovenproof casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place bread cubes,plums and raisins(if using) in casserole dish.
- Combine milk, eggs, vanilla, sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour over bread cube mixture.
- Mix well.
- Swirl jelly through mixture.
- Bake uncovered for about 45 minutes or until set.
- Set warm.