Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a refreshing recipe for the best of the summers fruits. My mom made this often and we would always beg for her to make it more often
- 2 cups diced Italian plums (Nectarines or Peaches can also be used)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup vanilla yogurt
- Cream butter sugar and vanilla together until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beat after each addition.
- Sift together flour, salt, cream of tartar, and baking soda.
- Add about 1/3 of the yogurt to the mixture then 1/3 of the flour mixture, alternating until all is added.
- fill two greased and floured bread pans 1/2 full with batter, then add 1/4 of the fruit to each pan, then the remaining batter and top with the remaining fruit.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 50-55 minutes.
- cool in the pan for about 15 minutes and turn onto a platter.
- Makes two loaves but freezes well.
If there were a way, I would rate this recipe 50 stars! I'm not kidding - this is the most delicious quick bread recipe I have ever made or had (and that's really saying something!). I used regular red plums off our backyard tree (chopped up in chunks with the skin still on) and strawberry yogurt. I also folded the plum chunks into the batter rather than the layering technique described. The loaves are moist and fragrant but most of all the taste is divine. The skin-on plum chunks collapse into sweet tart & tangy little fruity bits of heaven. The batter is strong enough to hold the fruit in place rather than having it all drop to the bottom. I'm telling you - you cannot beat this bread for a fabulous way to use fresh plums. A big A plus, 5 stars and 2 thumbs up! UPDATE: I just wanted to say that I made this recipe again and it came out just a fabulous as before! This time I sprinkled sugar on top and it made a delightful sugary crust. I'm uploading a picture so you can see how yummy it is!
What can I say except... perfection, I made this yesterday and only half a loaf is left if that, next time I am hiding one just for me, this is like heaven in a loaf pan. Thank you!
I see plums at the store and I think of this bread! My kids love these! The husband loves these ! I love the chunks of fruit in the bread. This bread is so unique & good..perfect for giving as gifts. I made mini muffins and regular sized muffins with this recipe. We toss them in the freezer and pull out for snacks and lunches. Eating them frozen with frozen plum bites...mmm! I make these with wheat flour and half butter half applesauce and they are still fantastic!