Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a great way to use up leftover rice.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (I like brown, it holds up better in this casserole) or 2 cups white rice (I like brown, it holds up better in this casserole)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- seasoning salt and black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce (Hunt's is best)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or any cheese blend)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch or 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- In a frypan, brown beef with onions and garlic; drain fat then season with salt and pepper, the add/mix in Parmesan cheese.
- Add in the tomato sauce with the sugar, parsley and oregano; cover and simmer for about 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the cooked rice and cottage cheese, then season with salt and pepper (you can add in about 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese to the mixture if desired).
- Transfer 1/3 of the mixture into a greased casserole.
- Sprinkle ALL of the green peppers over the mixture.
- Top with about 1/3 of the meat mixture.
- Continue to alternate layers, ending with the meat mixture.
- Bake covered or uncovered for 20 minutes; remove from the oven, sprinkle with grated cheese, return to oven, uncovered, bake for 15 minutes more.
I love this. We don't put the green pepper in. It's a very easy-going recipe -- make sure you let it sit for ten minutes before serving, though, or it won't hold together very well. (Kind of like lasagna.)
The meat layers tasted like pizza, but only after adding some italian seasoning and extra cheese. As for the rice (I used brown) and cottage cheese layers, they were a bit runny and didn't really add to the taste of the dish as a whole. I would make this again, but only after some modifications. Not bad for a starter recipe. The fam liked it, but didn't really come back for seconds.