Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a great way to use up leftover rice.
Top Review by A Messy Cook
I love this. We don't put the green pepper in. It's a very easy-going recipe -- make sure you let it sit for ten minutes before serving, though, or it won't hold together very well. (Kind of like lasagna.)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (I like brown, it holds up better in this casserole) or 2 cups white rice (I like brown, it holds up better in this casserole)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- seasoning salt and black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce (Hunt's is best)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or any cheese blend)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch or 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- In a frypan, brown beef with onions and garlic; drain fat then season with salt and pepper, the add/mix in Parmesan cheese.
- Add in the tomato sauce with the sugar, parsley and oregano; cover and simmer for about 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the cooked rice and cottage cheese, then season with salt and pepper (you can add in about 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese to the mixture if desired).
- Transfer 1/3 of the mixture into a greased casserole.
- Sprinkle ALL of the green peppers over the mixture.
- Top with about 1/3 of the meat mixture.
- Continue to alternate layers, ending with the meat mixture.
- Bake covered or uncovered for 20 minutes; remove from the oven, sprinkle with grated cheese, return to oven, uncovered, bake for 15 minutes more.