These are part of my OAMC rotation. My kids love these. I normally double this recipe as they go fast at my house.
- In a bowl, combine the egg, pizza sauce, bread crumbs and Italian seasoning.
- Fold beef into mixture and mix well.
- Divide meat mixture into 12 greased muffin cups.
- Press mixture into bottom and up the sides.
- Fill center with cheese.
- Bake at 375°F for 15-18 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Serve immediately with additional pizza sauce and cheese if desired.
- Or cool, place in freezer bags and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen pizza cups:.
- Thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Heat in microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- Top with additional pizza sauce and cheese if desired.
Clever and fast to make! Perfect for kids. I'd add more spice to the meat or sauce for adults. These would be better for dinner (with a fork) - not sure about them as a party appetizer. I only needed 1/4 cup sauce; it wouldn't have stuck together well with the full half cup. I pressed the bottom of a shot glass into the muffins to make the hole for the cheese.
I really enjoyed these. I used a chunk of mozzerella cheese instead of shredded. I used homemade pizza sauce that I think was a little bland so I think it resulted in a blander overall flavor. Next time and there will be a next time I am going to use a more flavorful pizza sauce. Thanks for a great OAMC recipe that I would love to tweak, maybe try BBQ sauce and cheddar cheese.
Very easy and tasty. The mixture was quite wet, but after being refrigerated overnight it was thicker. I divided it into 12 blobs in a muffin pan, then pushed a piece of mozza into the centre of each one. They stuck to the pan a little when being removed, but a spoon run around the edges and bottom worked pretty well. I will try this another time with some chopped pizza veggies added to the meat, like peppers and mushrooms.