Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Adapted from a Food Network magazine recipe. Much better than store bought crust. A family favorite for Friday nights :)
- 1. Whisk 1 1/3 cups warm water (105 degrees) and the sugar in a bowl; sprinkle the yeast on top. Set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, whisk both flours and the salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the yeast mixture. Stir together with a wooden spoon until liquid is incorporated. Add in the olive oil and gradually stir to make a rough dough.
- 3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, dusting with more flour if necessary. Form into 2 balls. Brush 2 large bowls with olive oil, add a ball of dough to each and turn to coat with the oil. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature until doubled in size, about 1.5 hours.
- 4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Roll out, sprinkle cornmeal on crust, flip over (so cornmeal is on the bottom) and put on a olive oil greased pizza pan (cast iron is the best!).
- 5. Bake at 450 for 5 minutes.
- 6. Take out of the oven and carefully top with desired ingredients.
- 7. Cook at 450 for 10 more minutes.
- 8. Reduce oven to 425 and cook for another 10 minutes. Check at this point to see if cooked, if not leave in and check every 5 minutes until done.
- 9. Broil for 2 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
- 10. ENJOY :)
- Note: Pizza crust can be wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen for up to 1 month.